7:30 am – 7:45 am
7:45 am – 8:45 am
What’s New in The Canadian Tax World?
- April 7, 2022, Budget – residential property flipping rule, small business deduction amendment, etc
- February 4, and August 9, 2022, draft legislation including:
- The “new” trust reporting rules
- Mandatory disclosure rules
- Substantive CCPC proposals
- FAPI amendments
- GAAR amendments and consultation…. what can we expect?
- Best practices
8:45 am – 9:30 am
- Inflation Reduction Act – a quick review of changes that should interest Canadians and their advisors
- Any further amendments expected?
- Best practices
9:30 am – 10:15 am
- Numerous changes to the various provincial, federal statutes and applicable case law will be reviewed so that attendees are up-to-date on requirements and considerations
10:15 am – 10:30 am
10:30 am – 11:15 am
A Review of the Basic Immigration Options and Considerations.
11:15 am – 12 pm
Numerous changes to the various provincial statutes and applicable case law will be reviewed so that attendees are up to date on requirements and considerations.
12 pm – 1:15 pm
Lunch and Feature Speaker
Are We Taxed Too Little?
With inflation and lower unemployment, public fiscal balances have improved as taxes have been pouring into government coffers. Two years ago, many think-tanks were arguing that we needed to raise taxes to cover the COVID-19 debt but inflation has helped solve that problem.
However, growth is weakening as interest rates climb.
1:30 pm – 2:30 pm
Roundtable discussion, using a case as an example, that discusses tax and corporate law considerations when purchasing or disposing of a business.
2:30 pm – 3:30 pm
- So, you’d like to expand your business into the US? What do you need to think about?
- Immigration issues are front and centre and will usually drive the legal structure considerations
- Taxation issues are important
- How will the business be capitalized? Considerations...
3:30 pm – 4:30 pm
- A basic review of a US citizen’s tax obligations
- Will drafting considerations
- Exposure to US estate tax?
- Gifting assets? Or will that be subject to US gift tax?
- Is the taxpayer compliant with their US tax filing obligations? Are you sure?
- Renouncing US citizenship?
4:30 pm – 5:00 pm
5:00 pm – 5:45 pm
Roundtable Sprint – A Sprint Through Some Questions and Topics of Interest
- Questions will be solicited in advance by participants on any topic of interest (with preference given to questions received from MPC Plus members)
- Update on Moodys Private Client government submissions – preferred share treatment, rectification / rescission remedies
- Moodys Private Client Plus opportunities
5:45 pm – close